Saturday, January 24, 2009

Luca's Ristorante

2019 Rt-27, Somerset, NJ
http://www.lucasristorante.com


I was anxious to try Luca's after reading so many rave reviews on urban spoon. My husband and I went there last night. I was very pleased by the ambiance of the restaurant. You really don't feel like you're in a strip mall restaurant at all.
We ordered a bruschetta caprese appetizer, and were very pleased by it... it was really fresh and tasty. The bread basket was really good too--we had 2 rolls, 2 sesame seed rolls, and something with garlic and melted cheese.
Our entrees were the disappointment of our meal. I was debating between the fresh pasta and a seafood pasta entree. I chose the seafood pasta (shrimp amalfi), and I probably should have gone for the fresh pasta. It really had no flavor, despite having broccoli, shrimp, mushrooms, and other things. My husband chose a chicken dish (chicken pulcinella). I thought the chicken itself was cooked perfectly--so tender. His comment was that all the parts (balsamic reduction, gorgonzola cheese, ham, chicken) were excellent, but together not so good. He felt that the gorgonzola really overwhelmed the other flavors. We chose not to get dessert, but a neighboring table got both tiramisu and gelato and were raving about it.

Anyway, we felt in all that the restaurant was fine, but not something we're going to make the drive for in the future.

Luca's Ristorante on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

MrEd said...

"MrEd and Spice" by mred (2 reviews)
February 27, 2009 - Likes it - I took Latin and French in High School and College, never took an Italian course. But I'm willing to bet that in Italian delicious is spelled " LUCA'S " . It's unassuming exterior opens up to quaint interior decor and great homemade pasta dishes, attentive service, and reasonable prices. Chef Andrea has it all going on, height, color, texture, taste, eye appeal, and flavor profiles that bring me back there time and time again. I read a newspaper review of Luca's that really sums it up .... "Often surprised, never disapppointed"
Recommended

Tricia said...

I really like Luca's--we regularly ride out of our way to get their pizza. Their balsamic dressing on their house salad is amazing as well. Try it again...I think you may be surprised...