Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jose's Mexican Cantina

125 Washington Valley Rd
Warren, NJ 07059

http://www.josescantina.com/menu.htm


Photobucket 

I screwed up dinner tonight, and have absolutely nothing in the house to make dinner.  So, we turned to one another and decided to get food out.  We decided on Mexican, and after looking for some reviews online, chose Jose's Mexican Cantina, after reading some pretty positive reviews.

The decor is pretty kitschy Mexican, but it was nice.  My son loved the brightly colored blankets that divided the booths.

I chose the enchiladas, and decided to go outside of my comfort zone and get the spicy suiza green sauce instead of the typical mild red sauce.  This is the meal pictured above, though the cell phone lighting makes it look far worse than it appeared in real life.  My husband chose the chicken chimichanga, and remarked that the sauce was really good.  The boys shared a kid's enchilada and a kid's quesadilla.  I was really happy when the waiter said it was no problem to have the enchilada sauce on the side.

It took a little longer than expected for our food to come, especially considering that the restaurant was fairly empty.  We were way in the back, and we started to wonder if we had been forgotten.  Soon after we began to wonder, our food came out.

I was really happy with the kid's menu.  They have standard Mexican fare choices, as well as things a picky kid might like:  chicken fingers...  The kid's meal comes with fries and a soda, which we didn't want to give our guys, so I was super thrilled to see we could order the food without the fries and soda, and it was $4 to do so.

The short of it is that we weren't blown away by the food.  I wasn't crazy about the green sauce (that's what I get for trying something new, I guess), and the prices seemed a little bit high.  If we lived closer, we might give it a second chance, but all these things together and we probably won't be going back.

Jose's Mexican Cantina on Urbanspoon

No comments: