Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Dish Cafe Does Dinner!

I love supporting local restaurants, and I love looking for restaurants that are just a little bit different. In NJ, going to a diner for breakfast is good, but pretty standard. But not at the Dish Cafe. Their quirkiness, great food, welcoming atmosphere (go ahead and pick your own seat always makes me happy), and great prices, have made them one of my favorite breakfast spots in the area.

So, I was really excited when I saw they were going to start serving dinner. I didn't know what to expect; would it be typical diner fare for dinner?

The answer to that is a resounding no. The regular menu is available all day, so you can get breakfast stuff or lunch stuff (my husband had a panini and my son had a cheeseburger) but there's a small dinner menu. It's small, but I still felt like there were so many options that I'd happily choose (rather than so many places where I feel like I'm settling. The menu had steak, chicken, pasta, and seafood options. In all of those except steak, there were about five options.

In addition, they had a TRUE specials board--not like a "featured" item that's on the menu all the time anyway.

As I said, my family all had lunch items, but I got a pasta dish, a vegetarian one too. It came with a lovely salad--what made it lovely? It had mixed greens and no iceberg lettuce. It came with a great balsamic vinaigrette dressing. My pasta dish was $8.95 and was HUGE. I will no doubt get two or three lunches our of this. I was sort of in the mood for steak, so checked that out--I think the more expensive steak option was $18.95... still pretty reasonable!

So, if for some reason, you haven't yet checked out Dish Cafe, you absolutely have no excuse. Yum!!

Dish Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: