Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ovations

295 Canal Rd
South Bound Brook, NJ 08880

Ovations has been on my list for a long time. I've heard they have excellent sushi, and they're frequently recommended by people on a message board I frequent. Tonight, I had a hankering for PF Chang's, but their "wait" was essentially 3.5 hours. Not happening. So, we turned to the "wishlist" on urbanspoon, and I suggested this one, since my husband made a comment yesterday about wanting sushi. Not sure if this was the place for our toddler, I called them up. I was told he would be fine (because of their dining room), and that they don't have a kids menu but could make him "kid friendly" food like pasta with sauce or butter, hamburger, chicken fingers. Final question, did they have a wait? No, they didn't.

We arrived, and the parking lot was empty. Score!! The ambiance was pretty nice; they had balloons on each table that said Happy New Year, and a zen sort of atmosphere.

I was pleasantly surprised when our waiter arrived with a specials list; these aren't offered at many places we frequent. Unable to eat sushi, I ended up getting a special of Penne Pasta, which was billed as Pasta Primavera with some chicken. I wouldn't quite describe it as that, but it was quite good and VERY large.

As for The Boy, we got him an appetizer of chicken quesadilla. He didn't end up eating it, but it was also quite large for the price. Hopefully, despite only eating the sour cream, he'll have it for a nice lunch tomorrow.

I convinced BAJ to get the Sushi Dinner. It was a nice plate of a variety of sushi. I did taste the California Roll, and it was excellent. He agreed that all the sushi was really good and very fresh. Hooray! He also indulged in that which I could not and ordered a martini. Again, he said it was very good.

In all, we were pleased with our meal. It was WAY closer than either PF Chang's, and we had a great meal. YAY!

Ovations Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon


No comments: