Saturday, February 5, 2011

Crystal Diner

2009 Us Hwy 1
Trenton, NJ 08648


A hectic day of visiting my grandmother and running errands for her had us unexpectedly out for dinner.  Since it was just me and my two boys, I wanted something fast, easy, and where they'd be welcome.  Since it was unexpected, and therefore not in the budget, I wanted something cheap as well.  As we passed the diner, I figured it would meet all the criteria.

The boys were certainly welcome; we were not the only family with small kids in at the time.  The hostess did a great job of trying to help me out as I juggled a baby in one arm, a diaper bag, putting on my 3 year old's jacket, and all the other stuff in my arms.  Our server was accommodating of our requests, though she did seem a bit impatient that we took so long to turn over our table (though the place was pretty empty).


It was fast as well; our meals came out very quickly, in typical diner style.  


I'm not sure I'd consider it cheap, per se.  For my burger and fries, a kid's burger and veggies, and a side of veggies (we drank water), it came to $15 plus tip.  While this is certainly fairly cheap, I could have gone to Burger King or Five Guys for much cheaper (though I wouldn't have been able to get the veggies for the kiddos).  That said, both our burgers were really large; I couldn't finish mine.  The burger was "fine," but not really "good."  


So, in short, it served its purpose for us.  If you're looking for something fast and easy, and don't want to go to one of the chain restaurants in the area, this will suffice.  But it's not a place we'll be going back to if we're in a similar situation again.

Crystal Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments: